hundreds thousands of phobias out there.
Thousands more with actual names attached to them.
It’s a reflection of the fears that ensnare us (are around us each and every day).
Here’s a list from a site that’s been compiling them since the 1980s.
There’s even a fear of numbers called Arithmophobia.
Ahh! Watch out! Numbers!!
I looked through the list and tried to assess how many I had. It was more than 2. And, I’ll leave it at that.
Fun to see these represented under the letter ‘B’:
- Bacillophobia- Fear of microbes.
- Bacteriophobia- Fear of bacteria.
- Ballistophobia- Fear of missiles or bullets.
- Bolshephobia- Fear of Bolsheviks.
- Barophobia- Fear of gravity.
- Basophobia or Basiphobia- Inability to stand. Fear of walking or falling.
- Bathmophobia- Fear of stairs or steep slopes.
- Bathophobia- Fear of depth.
- Batophobia- Fear of heights or being close to high buildings.
- Batrachophobia- Fear of amphibians, such as frogs, newts, salamanders, etc.
- Belonephobia- Fear of pins and needles. (Aichmophobia)
- Bibliophobia- Fear of books.
- Blennophobia- Fear of slime.
- Bogyphobia- Fear of bogeys or the bogeyman.
- Botanophobia- Fear of plants.
- Bromidrosiphobia or Bromidrophobia- Fear of body smells.
- Brontophobia- Fear of thunder and lightning.
- Bufonophobia- Fear of toads.
But, why are we afraid of so many things (many that can’t even hurt us)?
In a great article recently, Relevant Magazine writer, Adam Jeske, dissected Nomophobia – the fear of being disconnected.
Great topic for our social media world!
I admit I’m guilty of that one as well.
- Honest question: How long can I go without my cellular?
- Honest answer: It buzzed a minute ago, and I’m tempted to stop typing this blog to respond to an email.
- Point within all of this and biblical assertion – serving God and $ is referenced specifically in Scripture, but Jeske writes, couldn’t we just as easily ask, “if we can serve both God and Facebook.” He goes on to offer 5 solutions for that specific fear, in his post.
So, no matter the phobia, the fear – we can’t let it freeze us. We can’t let it control our lives. No matter the device. Regardless of its powers. It cannot be our strength. No cell phone deserves that worship. No fear either.
Please follow and like us: